I just finished Seth Godin’s book, “Poke the Box.” As always, it’s terrific, short and to the point. It really got me thinking: Godin tells us to have the initiative to start.
Turn fear into action because the consequence of doing nothing is much scarier and is certainly going to raise less money! It seems to me that this approach should be applied especially to monthly donors. There seems to be a fear of starting, and it prevents organizations from growing to their full potential; it holds them back.
I’m not sure what organizations are fearful of.
Yes, it will take some time to get it started and going, but I guarantee you, it will take a lot less time than the next event you’re organizing!
If it’s the technology, there’s no reason to fear any longer because there are so many wonderful tools at your fingertips, and solutions are only a text, telephone call or email away.
Based upon what I’m seeing and hearing from those organizations that have “poked the monthly donor box” and started, they’re not regretting it one iota. You know that expression: “If you keep doing what you’re doing, you keep getting what you’re getting.” If your organization doesn’t need to raise any more money, go ahead, stay fearful.
But if your organization needs to raise more money every year because you’re doing a great job, you’re supporting more people, more animals, more clients, you must start by poking the monthly donor box. You won’t regret it!
This post was earlier published on Nonprofit Pro.
This week’s freebies and news…
- A new way to shop and make a difference is offered by DLYTE. started by Barry Shore, a former paraplegic who got his life back and promised to give back!
- Donors and Fundraisers, Partners or Strangers. A terrific overview of donor quotes from Penelope Burk’s most recent Donor Survey
- M&R Strategic is finalizing their wonderful research on trends in online giving, including monthly donor info. Go here to make sure you get it as soon as it arrives! (Don’t worry, I’ll definitely be referring to it).
- Make sure you sign up for your free monthly Nonprofit Pro Magazine. The April issue will include some great new research from the Blackbaud Target Analytics (TM) Sustainer Benchmarking Study 2016!
- Direct mail is far from dead, so I’ll be presenting a webinar on direct mail nuts and bolts, Use coupon code ERICA to get a 20% discount!
- If you’re interested in learning more about sustainable fundraising, check out the Eight Principles, you’ll not be disappointed. I’m one of the Fellows, more to follow!
- Check out a great way to improve your donor retention even further with eCheck processing. Thank you Ronald Pruitt for sharing this with me.
- Facebook and Facebook live are growing and a terrific way to start generating monthly donors. Check out these great resources from John Haydon!
- If you’re an advocacy organization, check out a way to ignite engagement with a photo contest.
- A new infographic on monthly donors and I’m quoted in it…Check it out. Thank you, Pursuant!
- Jay Love of Bloomerang wrote a new book on ‘staying together’… You can download it here
- Ann Green joined as a monthly donors herself last fall and shares some great examples of how to make monthly donors feel special. Thanks Ann.
- Consider a google grant to grow your email audience, go here to find out how to apply.
- Amazon Smile: What a great way to generate some money at no charge to your donors!
- We Microgive: offers a way for donors to round up their credit card payments to the next dollar and indicate which charity they’d like the roundups to go to.
- If you’re ready to make your next move, it’s not too late to check out Mazarine Treyz Fundraising Career Conference.
- To receive a free video in your inbox with a great story from or about fundraising, check out Movie Mondays